Unless otherwise noted, all "BECK" branded knives come std. with the following features:
* Every knife is made exclusively by David R. Beck himself.
* Entirely crafted here in the USA at our custom knife shop using "old-School" hands-on methods from the blade, specialized in-house heat
treatment to the sheath. Even our saw teeth are hand cut using files. No work is outsourced & you won't find anything "made in China" here.
* We use only the best raw materials available & compromise no detail to ensure the highest attention to design, quality, feel, fit & finish for the
ultimate in customer satisfaction.
* The Blade: Crafted exclusively from 01 high carbon tool steel for resilience, superior edge retention & ease of sharpening in the field.
Blade thickness is carefully selected to optimize the best combination of strength to cutting efficiency.
Blade bevels are hand-ground & will vary from full flat, flat saber, true Scandi, modified scandi, or convex depending upon the knife's design
& intended use. Each type has its merits & disadvantages but are selected wisely for the best strength & performance per design. Blades grind
types are specific to the knife model & to ensure optimum performance & safety thus changes are not an available customer option.
Additional details regarding bevel types are addressed in a knife's description.
* Heat Treatment: A true skill & art form, all blades are differentially hardened & tempered "in-house" for a hard edge & soft back. The hardened
zone follows the curvature of the edge & extends partially into the tang rather than treating the entire blade. Varying by model & design, the
hardened portion of our blades runs from about 1/3 to 1/2 of the way from the cutting edge up to the spine & about 1/4 to 1/3rd of the blade
length from the point back towards the handle. We leave sharp 90 degree edges along the spine within this tempered zone so the back of the
knife can be used as a ferro rod striker. The remainder of the spine being softer & less efficient for sparking is lightly de-burred to be less
abrasive on the thumb during extended carving work.
NOTE: Our selection of blade steel, proper thickness & grinds along with our specialized heat treatment produces the perfect balance between
materials, design & application to deliver optimum strength, edge retention & resilience along with an increased level of stress tolerance
to lessen the risk of blade damage & failure when employed to the limits of the knife's recommended use which also provides a better
safety margin for the user. This is an area often over looked by many makers today but a feature that's very important to us & many of
our professional customers who demand a knife they can count on to go the distance.
Our differential heat treatment produces a distinct temper line, although this is not readily visible on our newly finished blades. As the
blade "ages" & develops a patina from contact with plant & animal fats & acids through use, the temper line will become much more
pronounced & add an eye-pleasing touch demonstrating its unique character. This characteristic will become most visible on our blades
that have a satin finish applied.
* All our blades are hand-honed on a fine oil stone followed by stropping to produce a polished edge & will arrive extremely sharp & ready for
the field right out of the box.
* Tangs: Most of our knives utilize full tang construction, meaning the tang will be visible all around the handle for strength & the greatest handle
support. Some knives come std. with tapered tangs which start at full thickness just forward of the handle & thin down as the tang nears the
butt. This feature is typically used on heavier, thicker-bladed knives to improve balance, handling, & control but also serves to reduce carry
weight without any compromise in strength. For knives that don't benefit from this feature we typically leave the tangs non-tapered
(full- thickness), but tapered tangs may be requested (at an extra cost) for those who prefer that "custom" look.
Internal Tangs; are used on our knives that are occasionally offered with leather washer or similarly designed handles which require a hidden
tang. In this case we use what can best be termed as a "bar-type" tang. This type of tang is wider & exhibits greater strength & support than
the "stick-type" tangs used by many & will offer nearly the same degree of strength as our full-tanged knives.
* Blade Finish:
Satin; Our std. finish, is a fine silvery but low reflective finish. Laboriously applied by wet-sanding to 320 grit followed by hand rubbing with
with a scotch bright pad. The easiest to maintain. Should discoloration or rust occur, simple maintenance will restore without fear of
harming the blade.
Blued; A combination of chemical bluing agents applied over a satin finish produces a dark blue to black appearance & s available on any knife
NOTE: None of our finishes will inhibit corrosion or staining. Oiling or waxing the blade is recommended for surface protection & all knives are
shipped pre-coated to protect the finish while in transit. This protective coating should be removed prior to using our knives for food
preparation but should be maintained when stored or used in the field.
* THE HANDLE: All our handles are permanently secured with epoxy & Loveless bolts & are guaranteed never to loosen under normal use.
Each is ergonomically contoured for an incredibly comfortable feel & positive grip. We offer a wide variety of handle materials to select from
with Micarta being the best for durability in all environments & conditions. Natural hardwoods receive an oil/wax finish to bring out the
deepest beauty & aide in the protection of the material, while Micarta can be requested either highly polished, or unpolished (finely sanded &
the most popular) for a more subdued appearance & slightly less slippery feel.
When used, stacked leather washer handles are stabilized for moisture resistance & added durability.
Unless otherwise noted, all knives are made std. with lined lanyard holes large enough to accommodate a "550" cord.
* THE SHEATH: All our knives come with sheaths crafted from specially selected black bridle leather, wet-molded for a glove-like fit, double
stitched with strong nylon thread, riveted in high stress areas as needed & complimented with a special oil/wax finish inside & out for increased
durability, water resistance & long wear. Sheaths are available in right or left hand orientation but come in black leather only.
NOTE: Most of our knives come with a std. type sheath design that incorporates a generous belt loop for vertical side-carry only, although some
knives may be available with optional "scout" loops (upon request) for those who require greater versatility & who would also like to be
able to carry their knives cross-draw on the front, or horizontally behind-the-back.
WSK knives are available with your choice of several sheath styles so they can be carried alone, or with the addition of an accessory knife
(BK018 Scout) among other possible options.
All sheaths can be ordered with an optional ferro rod loop sewn into the welting (extra cost). These are 3/8 x 1-1/2" & will accommodate
most commercial ferro rods. (At this time we don't presently sell ferro rods).
* Pics of handle materials along with more details on available options can be viewed on our "Options & Services" page.
* Customer Service: Excellent before & after-sale customer service with personal attention to all emails & phone calls by David R. Beck himself.
* A Limited Lifetime Warranty comes with all our new knives.
* Knife care, maintenance, use & safety info is included with every order. *For your safety, all information should be read in full prior to
handling your new knife.
REVIEW OUR OTHER PAGES TO SEE ALL THE CURRENT KNIFE MODELS WE OFFER ALONG WITH AVAILABLE OPTIONS.