Unless otherwise noted per individual knife description, all "BECK" branded knives come std. with the following features:
* Every knife is hand-made made exclusively by David R. Beck himself.
* Entirely crafted here in the USA at our custom knife shop using "old-School" hands-on methods, from the blade, specialized in-house heat
treatment to the sheath. Even our saw teeth are hand cut using files. We use only the best raw materials available & compromise no detail to
ensure the highest attention to quality, design, feel, fit & finish for the ultimate in customer satisfaction.
* The Blade: Crafted exclusively from 01 high carbon tool steel for resilience, superior edge retention & ease of sharpening in the field.
Blade thickness is carefully selected to optimize the best combination of strength to cutting efficiency.
Blade bevels are hand-ground & will vary from full flat, flat saber, true Scandi, modified scandi, or convex depending upon the knife's design
& intended use. Each type has its merits & disadvantages but are selected wisely for the best strength & performance per design. Blade bevel
types are specific to the knife model to ensure optimum performance & safety of that design, thus changes to bevel design are not an available
* Heat Treatment: A true skill & art perfected here in our shop. All blades are differentially hardened & tempered "in-house" for a hard edge & soft
back. The hardened zone follows the curvature of the edge & extends partially into the tang rather than treating the entire blade. This specialized
heat treatment along with proper steel selection produces the perfect balance between material, method of manufacture & application to optimize
performance levels & also increase stress tolerance, lessening the risk of blade failure when our knives must be deployed to their upper limits of
their intended use. This last quality demonstrates we're not only concerned about peak performance, but also take extra steps to help promote a
better margin of safety for the user. This is an area often neglected, but a feature that's very important to us & many of our professional clients
who demand a knife they can count on to go the distance.
Note: Our differential heat treatment produces a temper line, but this is not highly visible on newly finished blades. As the blade "ages" from use
& develops a patina, the temper line will become more pronounced.
* All our blades are hand-honed will arrive extremely sharp & ready for the field right out of the box.
* Sharp 90 degree edges are left on areas of the spine closer to the point that falls within the tempered zone of our blades for casting a splendid
shower of sparks from a ferro rod. The remainder of the spine being soft, & not as efficient for sparking or scraping, is lightly de-burred to be less
abrasive on the thumb during extended carving sessions.
* Tangs: Unless otherwise stated in their description, all our knives utilize full tang construction, meaning the tang is visible all around the handle
for strength & greater handle support. Most knives are made std. with tapered tangs which start at full thickness just forward of the handle and
become thinner as it nears the butt. Tapered tangs improve balance, handling, control & also reduce carry weight without any compromise in
strength. Knives which don't benefit from this feature are made w/non-tapered (full thickness) tangs to save unnecessary customer cost.
* Blade Finish:
Satin: Our std. finish. A fine silvery but low reflective finish. Laboriously applied by wet-sanding to 320 grit followed by hand rubbing with
with a scotch bright pad. The easiest to maintain. Should discoloration or rust occur, simple maintenance will restore without fear of
harming the blade.
Blued: A combination of chemical bluing agents applied over a satin finish produces a dark blue to gray/black appearance & is available on any
knife upon request.
Field Grey: Similar in appearance to the "smoke-grey" finished once used on our high grade WSK knives but with a wet-sanded surface instead of
being hand-polished, then blued & lightly buffed to a worn, pewter-colored appearance for a more classic "aged" look.
NOTE: None of our finishes will inhibit corrosion or staining. Oiling or waxing the blade is recommended for surface protection. All knives are
shipped pre-coated to protect the finish while in transit. This protective coating should be removed prior to using our knives for food
preparation but should be maintained when stored or carried in the field.
* THE HANDLE: All our handles are permanently secured with epoxy & Loveless bolts & are guaranteed never to loosen under normal use.
Each is ergonomically contoured for an incredibly comfortable feel & positive grip.
In the past we have offered many different handle materials, but today Micarta has largely become our favorite of choice & is presently the
only handle option for our knives, & for good reason; it not only looks nice, but its stability & durability for all environments & conditions is
unmatched. Micarta is virtually indestructible, requires no maintenance, & is simply the best choice for knives in the field that just cant afford
Every knife comes with your choice of Micarta which is available in several colors & can be requested with either a polished, or unpolished finish
for a more subdued appearance & slightly less slippery grip.
Unless otherwise noted, all knives are made std. with lined lanyard holes large enough to accommodate a "550" cord.
Colored tang spacers are an optional add-on to any knife upon request at an extra cost.
* THE SHEATH: All our knives come with our newer "FACS" type sheaths. These sheaths crafted from specially selected black bridle
leather, wet-molded for a glove-like fit, double stitched with strong nylon thread, riveted in high stress areas as needed & complimented with a
special oil/wax finish inside & out for increased durability, water resistance & long wear. Sheaths are available in right or left hand orientation
but come in black leather only.
These sheaths are designed with ability to have optional mounting holes added between the rows of stitching upon request (at no extra charge).
Mounting holes provide the ability to add removable "scout" loops, a sling for optional shoulder-carry, or an accessory/tool pouch (PH1 or PH2).
We can add a full series of holes or only the number you'd like to accommodate your needs. Mounting holes are finished on the inside for a clean
*Mounting holes on a BK018 Scout "companion" knife sheath will enable it to be fastened onto the front of a WSK sheath for a 2-knife system.
An optional fixed 3/8 x 1-1/2" ferro rod loop can be added to any sheath. These are sewn into the welting edge of the sheath & will
accommodate most commercial ferro rods up to 3/8" dia & at least 2" long. (At this time we don't presently sell ferro rods).
* Pics, along with more details on available handle materials, sheath styles & other options can be viewed on our "WSK Knives" page.
* Customer Service: Excellent before & after-sale customer service with personal attention to all emails & phone calls by David R. Beck himself.
Email is the best way to contact us & we try to address these nightly. If you prefer to call to speak to us in person, please be sure to leave a
message if you want a reply. Include our name, phone#, location & the nature of your question so we can gather the information you may need
before we return your call. If you call & hear an automated voice messaging service please try again. We can't receive those calls & our phone
company refuses to correct that issue.
* A 14-day money-back satisfaction guaranty & Limited Lifetime Warranty comes with all our new knives.
(See our "Terms, Conditions & Warranty" page for complete details)
* Knife care, maintenance, use & safety info is included with every order. *For your safety, all information should be read in full prior to
handling your new knife.