Unless otherwise noted per knife description, all "BECK" branded knives come std. with the following features:
* Every knife is made exclusively by David R. Beck himself.
* Entirely crafted here in the USA at our custom knife shop using "old-School" hands-on methods from the blade, specialized in-house heat
treatment to the sheath. Even our saw teeth are hand cut using files. We use only the best raw materials available & compromise no detail to
ensure the highest attention to quality, design, feel, fit & finish for the ultimate in customer satisfaction.
* The Blade: Crafted exclusively from 01 high carbon tool steel for resilience, superior edge retention & ease of sharpening in the field.
Blade thickness is carefully selected to optimize the best combination of strength to cutting efficiency.
Blade bevels are hand-ground & will vary from full flat, flat saber, true Scandi, modified scandi, or convex depending upon the knife's design
& intended use. Each type has its merits & disadvantages but are selected wisely for the best strength & performance per design. Blades grind
types are specific to the knife model & to ensure optimum performance & safety thus changes are not an available customer option.
Additional details regarding bevel types are addressed in a knife's description.
* Heat Treatment: A true skill & art perfected here in our shop. All blades are differentially hardened & tempered "in-house" for a hard edge & soft
back. The hardened zone follows the curvature of the edge & extends partially into the tang rather than treating the entire blade. This specialized
heat treatment along with proper steel selection produces the perfect balance between material, method of manufacture & application to optimize
performance levels & also increase stress tolerance lessening the risk of blade failure when our knives must be deployed to their upper limits of
their intended use. This last quality demonstrates we're not only concerned about peak performance, but also take extra steps to help promote a
better margin of safety for the user. This is an area often neglected, but a feature that's very important to us & many of our professional clients
who demand a knife they can count on to go the distance.
Note: Our differential heat treatment produces a temper line, but this is not highly visible on newly finished blades. As the blade "ages" from use
& develops a patina, the temper line will become more pronounced. This characteristic will be most visible on our satin finished blades.
* All our blades are hand-honed will arrive extremely sharp & ready for the field right out of the box.
* Sharp 90 degree edges are left on the spine closer to the point that falls within the tempered zone of our blades for casting a splendid shower of
sparks from a ferro rod. The remainder of the spine being soft, & not as efficient for sparking or scraping, is lightly de-burred to be less wearing
on the thumb during extended carving sessions.
* Tangs: Unless otherwise stated in their description, all our knives utilize full tang construction, meaning the tang is visible all around the handle
for strength & greater handle support. Most knives are made std. with tapered tangs which start at full thickness just forward of the handle and
become thinner as it nears the butt. Tapered tangs improve balance, handling, control & also reduce carry weight without any compromise in
strength. Knives which don't benefit from this feature are made w/non-tapered (full thickness) tangs to save unnecessary customer cost.
* Blade Finish:
Satin: Our std. finish. A fine silvery but low reflective finish. Laboriously applied by wet-sanding to 320 grit followed by hand rubbing with
with a scotch bright pad. The easiest to maintain. Should discoloration or rust occur, simple maintenance will restore without fear of
harming the blade.
Blued: A combination of chemical bluing agents applied over a satin finish produces a dark blue to gray/black appearance & is available on any
knife upon request.
NOTE: None of our finishes will inhibit corrosion or staining. Oiling or waxing the blade is recommended for surface protection & all knives are
shipped pre-coated to protect the finish while in transit. This protective coating should be removed prior to using our knives for food
preparation but should be maintained when stored or carried in the field.
* THE HANDLE: All our handles are permanently secured with epoxy & Loveless bolts & are guaranteed never to loosen under normal use.
Each is ergonomically contoured for an incredibly comfortable feel & positive grip. In the past we have offered many different handle materials,
but today Micarta has vastly become our favorite material of choice & at this time is the only we offer & recommend for our knives & there's
good reason; It not only looks nice, but its durability for all environments & conditions is unmatched. It's virtually indestructible, requires no
maintenance, & is simply the best choice for hard-use knives in the field that just cant fail.
Every knife comes with your choice of Micarta which is available in several colors & can be requested with either a highly polished, or
unpolished finish for a more subdued appearance & slightly less slippery grip.
Unless otherwise noted, all knives are made std. with lined lanyard holes large enough to accommodate a "550" cord.
Colored tang spacers are an optional add-on to any knife upon request at an extra cost.
* THE SHEATH: All our knives come with sheaths crafted from specially selected black bridle leather, wet-molded for a glove-like fit, double
stitched with strong nylon thread, riveted in high stress areas as needed in high stress areas & complimented with a special oil/wax finish inside &
out for increased durability, water resistance & long wear. Sheaths are available in right or left hand orientation but come in black leather only.
NOTE: Most of our knives come with a std. type sheath design that incorporates a generous belt loop for vertical side-carry only, although some
knives may be available with optional "scout" loops (upon request) for those who require greater versatility & who would also like to be
able to carry their knives cross-draw on the front, or horizontally behind-the-back.
WSK knives are available with your choice of several sheath styles so they can be carried alone, or with the addition of an accessory knife
(BK018 Scout) among other possible options, but all can be ordered with an optional ferro rod loop sewn into the welting (extra cost).
These are 3/8 x 1-1/2" & will accommodate most commercial ferro rods. (At this time we don't presently sell ferro rods).
*Refer to our "WSK Knives" page for current sheath details &available accessories.
* Pics, along with more details on available handle materials, sheath styles & many other options can be viewed on our "WSK Knives" page.
* Customer Service: Excellent before & after-sale customer service with personal attention to all emails & phone calls by David R. Beck himself.
* A 14-day money-back satisfaction guaranty & Limited Lifetime Warranty comes with all our new knives.
(See our "Terms, Conditions & Warranty" page for complete details)
* Knife care, maintenance, use & safety info is included with every order. *For your safety, all information should be read in full prior to
handling your new knife.